Say It Ain't So, Willie...


No...your eyes are NOT deceiving you. Willie Nelson did indeed cut off all his hair. And I have to tell you, it has rocked my world. Really. Why? I don't so much know. I mean, it's just that...you think you know a guy...

I don't have anything even remotely profound to say. The little brother moved in with me a few weeks ago, and he has surprised me in more than a few ways...to be expected since we haven't lived under the same roof since 1995. The main surprise being...drum roll, please...the boy is clean. Like mildly OCD clean.

What?!

Talk about thinking you know somebody. When Chad lived with me several years ago it was like living with Oscar the Grouch. In spirit and in truth, you know what I'm saying? Chad was a sweetheart with a HUGE heart...but he had a "side." If he were here, he would say "Amen." He knew it. Loved it, really. Anyway, I had emotionally prepared myself for the same type of experience with Alex since, I think, in my mind they are basically the same person born 10 years apart. I was w r o n g. I have never in my adult life been the messier person in a house. I am now...and I seem to work myself to death keeping it as clean as he thinks it should be. Why? I don't know. I'm a people-pleaser. What can I say? I just want the boy to be happy.

I've been cooking at night. I really love to cook. I'm not that good at it, but I do enjoy it. I don't generally cook for myself, but I sort of find it soothing or something so I embraced it again when he moved in. Last night it was spaghetti squash and all I need to tell you about that is he wouldn't even feed the leftovers to the dogs. Enough said. It was my first strike out. I should just stick to what I know. Anyway, the bub gets in from work around 8 looking for something to eat, so I try and oblige him a few nights a week. I've spoiled him rotten his whole life. Why stop now?

So, the thing is, I don't cook carbs. I'll make a meat and a vegetable and a fruit usually. Something along those lines. On the third night he looked at me and said, "Soooo, you're not much on carbs, huh?" He's so perceptive. Such a smart boy. I told him I would be happy to start making him rice or a baked potato with his meals, but he declined. However, every night, about 20 minutes after dinner, he goes to the fridge. Hungry again. And usually winds up eating a huge pickle (which is an experience to watch, believe me) and 3 ice cream sandwiches...the expensive Breyers-No-Sugar-Added kind, not the VBS-eat-all-you-want kind with that cow on the package. Just saying. I gotta put that last kind on the shopping list.

There you go. A blog about absolutely nothing. I have to say I'm proud of me. Marti's never done that before and I have to admit that it really was super fun...

Just one last thing. Lately, I have to say, God has been beyond good to me. So good it's hard to wrap my brain around. I just want to publicly acknowledge and praise Him for that. He's really done some amazing things to orchestrate me out of some pretty tough circumstances that me myself and I put MYSELF IN, and I just need to tell you all...My God is faithful. Even when I am just not. Even when I'm a moron. (2 Timothy 2:13..read it. I'm telling ya'll, The Word is Truth and in it we find freedom. I'm living proof.) I have found these last years that if I will just rest day to day, and when I do make a move...make sure I move in obedience to Him...He will do the most extraordinary things! The question is can I quit "helping Him along" and "giving Him ideas"??? Someday I'm going to learn that God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, does not need my ideas. I'm not nearly as brilliant as I would like to be, or think I am sometimes...sigh...

Good thing He is.

Love ya'll. Mean it. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts